26 July 2007

update

I suppose an update is in order as it's been longer than I care to remember. What is news?

I'm done at the radio station (angelic choruses ring in my ears) and have spent much of the last two weeks basking in the glory of simply being. I have more than enough other things going on, between the bakery and Kaplan, and driving with Teresa to Chicago.

Yes, Chicago, and we have hence returned, very tired, and very impressed with Nebraska. The roads are smoothly paved, the landscape is rolling green on and on, and the rest stops are amazing. Yes, my friends, the rest stops in Nebraska have more public services, more funding for the arts, and more love for pets and their owners than our fair city of Greeley. And they are wireless. In the middle of a corn field. I am both shamed and amazed.
Omaha is the home of SaddleCreek records, a personal favorite of both Tom and I, and you can imagine our excitement at being able to stop there around lunch time. We had heard that Collin on the SC crew had taken it upon themselves to revitalize downtown Omaha. Given this single piece of information, and also the idea that they had a recording studio in a barn, I imagined Omaha to be a small place, with a neat downtown. But it turns out Omaha is actually quite large, bigger than the capitol of Nebraska, actually, and the downtown is indeed in need of revitalizing. While I at least had secretly imagined a fantastic lunch surrounded by indie hipsters, we found nothing more exciting than a Quiznos and two very suspect Chinese restaurants, and left the city with nothing more in our bellies than disappointment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

Aw, I didn't see you in Chicago. :(

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home